Wednesday 13 August 2008

Keeping promises

Since I did mention another post today I thought I should stay true to my word. If I posted this now, as it is, with just one sentence - I would still be staying true to my word. But somehow the whole idea of keeping promises interests me. So I have decided to go on about it.

I feel staying true to your word is quite different from keeping a promise. Staying true to your word means you have to do everything you say - that is very difficult.
For example: if you said, 'I am going to take a leak now' and on the way to your destination/pee-pot met an ex-crush of yours, you have two options:
1) Postpone the peeing and try your luck (which you never seemed to have before) with Mr/ Ms ex-crush - this option would make you one who doesn’t stay true to his/her word.
2) Go ahead to the destination/pee-pot and think of all the wonderful happy endings you just destroyed thanks to staying true to your word.
Or maybe a third option does exist...
You could take the risk of looking like a fool, tell Mr/Ms ex-crush not to move an inch while you go take a leak and be back as soon as humanly (bladder-ly) possible - all this just to stay true to your word. It is difficult and more often than always not worth it.

Keeping a promise, on the other hand, is much simpler - don't make one! You need only refrain from using those terrible cursed words "I promise". Smart alternatives that can be used in response to the question "Do you promise?" include:
Uh-huh
Hmmm
Of course
Yes
Whatever you say, darling
Hello? I can’t hear you!
The moon looks bigger tonight
The moon looks brighter tonight
Is that a pimple on your face?
Oh my God! I can’t speak. I can’t say a thing! I think I have become dumb! (Use this only if you are lucky enough to be talking to a blonde)
So on and so forth.

I have kept my word. And believe me, that is more difficult than keeping a promise - so... WOW!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
THIS IS NOT THE END, NOR IS THIS THE BEGINNING...
THIS IS ON YOUR ROAD TO ENLIGHTENMENT